Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What I've Learned About Forgiveness Through Loving

Failure. Webster's defines failure as "a state of inability to perform a normal function."

The inability to make it down the side of a mountain on a snowboard without falling is failure. The inability to pass a science test is failure. The inability to cook macaroni and cheese without burning it is failure. These are all normal functions. People all over the world perform these functions on a daily basis. So if a 'normal function' is described as something that happens frequently, is love a normal function? Can love be failed? People love all the time. Every day. Morning and night. People love emotionally, physically, and mentally. Can one really fail at love? According to Webster's - yes, there is the possibility of failing at love.

Love. Webster's defines love as an "unselfish, loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another."

If love is truly loyal and unselfish, can one fail at such an act? Mistakes can be made - of course, but can one truly fail? Is it possible to have a definite inability to love another human being? I have seen many couples fall out of love, but that act in itself is not failure. In such cases, it is not an inability to love the other person but a helplessness. The heart wants what the heart wants and it's as simple as that.

Forgive. Webster's defines forgive as "to cease to feel resentment."

Learning to forgive is probably one of the hardest things human beings and their respective hearts are tasked with. In my experience, forgiveness comes from the heart because a lot of the time the acts that require forgiving are matters of the heart. To forgive takes thought, emotion, judgement and, in my opinion, ambition. If you lack one of those components, the end result may not be the desired one.

Personally, I think the only time one can fail is when that person gives up. If one has mastered the art of forgiveness, can one really fail? Think about it. Forgiveness does not always include two parties. People have to forgive themselves from time to time as well. If someone fails at something but can truly forgive themselves for whatever it may be, they should be able to move on, therefore no longer being a failure. The same goes for love.

If something went wrong in the course of one's love, they cannot be considered a failure if they learn to forgive.

What I have learned is that giving up on love based on one mistake is unfair. It is not fair to myself, my partner in crime or the love itself. Love, as defined earlier in this piece, deserves a chance, or two or even three. Love is an unselfish, loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another. If couples continually gave up because of one mistake... if that was the approach most couples took in their relationships, we would be experiencing a much higher divorce rate than we currently are. We would be walking the streets with loveless beings and ones who don't know forgiveness. I can only speak for myself but, that doesn't seem like a happy place to be.

Maybe this outlook on life stems from the ever present relationship between my parents. They are high school sweethearts through and through. What I mean by this is that they have never failed. They have never given up on themselves, on each other or on their kids. I know that with the rough times our family has experienced my parents probably have had many chances to give up - but they didn't. Love, forgiveness and loyalty overcame the hard times. All of them. Every single one.

It is possible that this outlook on life stems from the ever present relationships I see around me and have seen around me since I was a child. Fathers stepping up to the plate becoming dad's to children who are not their own but treating them as if they were. Wives who stuck by their husbands during times of alcoholism and drug abuse. Families who pulled through even the worst times and still came out on top, as a family with faith that things will continue to get better. These fathers, wives, husbands and families all had to learn to forgive at some point in their lives and that, I believe, is why they are still going strong today.

Failure to forgive or learn forgiveness is something I couldn't live with. It's not easy but I know that learning to forgive is better than carrying resentment on your shoulders and in your mind everywhere you go.

I am so thankful for having gone through these recent experiences because my previous outlook was tainted by assumptions made by peering into the lives of others and judging their relationships from the outside. The truth is, everyone is different and every relationship is different. One of the most unhealthy habits we have is comparing ourselves to others. Making decisions based on what another person is doing or what another person thinks is unhealthy to a growing individual.

I chose to learn to forgive, especially regarding matters close to the heart and the minute I made that decision, I was instantly a happier person.

My boyfriend and I will be celebrating a year of being together in September. Like those couples I wrote about earlier, we too have had our own hurdles to jump, big ones at that. However, in the midst of the chaos we realized we were missing an integral part of our relationship and that was forgiveness. So, we continue on as two individuals growing together and learning forgiveness.

7 comments:

  1. Forgiveness. That's one act that is a tremendous challenge for each and every one of us. Good for you for being able to find the strength to forgive others who have broken your trust. Just a little insight to go along with past experience however, true love doesn't give up on you so easily. There may be things you are so willing to forgive, not realizing all the other lies that are attached to what you have decided to look past. Many women in relationships are so comfortable with what the relationship offers, that they can't seem to stand up with integrity and realize they are disrespecting themselves by returning to someone who had the audacity to not love you in its entirety initially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as I have always said, I enjoy hearing insights from others and I appreciate any response to my blog posts. However, since this post was anonymous I can not be sure that this is who I think it is (although I have a pretty good idea) so I won't start my response with the usual, "with all due respect."

      Forgiveness definitely is a tremendous challenge for anyone and I did have to dig deep to find the strength to let this particular part of our relationship go. And as you may believe, there is more to this than what you know, mostly because I have decided not to go into great detail about the happenings of my relationship with more than a few people. That being said, my decision to look past the less than appropriate choices that were made recently is one that you may not understand. I don't expect everyone to understand and quite frankly I don't care if everyone understands.

      I am 21 years old. I have my entire life ahead of me. And although I am completely satisfied with my decision to give love another chance and I don't feel the need to defend that decision, I would like to give you some insight as to what guided me to this point.

      You may think that I am 'comfortable with what my relationship offers' and therefore I am blind to whatever else may be attached to it but I can tell you that you are wrong.

      If I did not choose to give love a second chance, I would have never known if it was meant to be or not. If it is still not meant to be, then I will find out in due time but I decided that walking away and giving up was not the right choice at this point in the relationship. I know that there is still more to this relationship and I am happy that I get to experience what it has to offer.

      Now, regarding your comment about women who are unable to stand up with integrity and realize they are disrespecting themselves by returning to someone who had the audacity to not love them in its entirety initially, I resent that.

      I am a smart young woman and I absolutely respect myself and my decision. What is life if not to live, learn and love? I believe, wholeheartedly that West has never stopped loving me, not for a second and I have never stopped loving him.

      As I stated in my original blog post, everyone makes mistakes. If someone is honest enough to admit to those mistakes, stand up and fight for what they want, and prove that they truly recognize the mistakes they made, they deserve a chance.

      I am standing with integrity now and telling you, someone who is hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet, that from the bottom of my heart, I KNOW I am doing the right thing. If this relationship does not work, it simply was not meant to be, but at this point, I cannot justify going against my heart and giving up on what feels right and what has made me this happy for so long.

      Delete
  2. I am actually very proud of you for this realization of forgiveness. I've found that it is SO MUCH EASIER to walk away from a relationship than it is to forgive. Let's not forget that you took your time and were very cautious - and the forgivee has proven his worthiness of your love and is doing everything in his power to fight for you. He may have slipped up, but HE NEVER GAVE UP ON YOU and you, my dear, did not give up on him either. You did something brave, something I would have done. You are giving love a second chance and it's worth it. Keep that loving heart of yours open, my love. Too many people in this world will try to slam it shut.

    - K^2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, Well Said, I agree with you so unless he is physically and verbally abusing you go for it! People don't understand things especially if they have not been there. I put my self through 10 years of a relationship before I finally said I was done. I did not give up on him in that 10 years. he did not abuse me physically or mentally (well for the most part) he was a great father, his problem was drugs and people were unable to understand why I stayed, I kept saying he is the kindest person a great father, lover, and was my best friend, we would finish each others sentences. So keep up with what you believe in and give it a chance all the away. If it is not meant to be you will realize it in time. I did and I do not regret it at all. And I have to sign off as Anonymous because it won't let me post other wise...lol
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      First of all, I was not aware that it does not let you add a name. I believe it might only let you do so if you have a gmail account, so thank you for telling me who you are.

      As far as your comment goes, I appreciate it. I know that whoever it was cares and is offering words of wisdom, if you will, but part of it definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

      I think that everyone will experience life and relationships in a different way, therefore there is no cookie cutter way to go about dealing with them. I don't think that what you did with your ex husband was give up, by any means. I think you are absolutely right when you say you just realize when nothing can be done anymore. In my situation, I know there is more to it so I won't let it go.

      Thank you for the support.

      (And just so you know, I am not being abused in anyway!)

      Delete
  4. Like I said before, good for you for finding a way to forgive. Very well said. Not trying to put anyone down on here. If you find happiness, then great. Can't fully trust anyone but yourself though. Anonymous is what im narrowed to on here, but Christine is the name. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was informed of the comment restrictions and I am not sure why it won't allow users to add a name instead of the title 'anonymous,' so I apologize for the comment related to that.

      Otherwise, thank you for the well wishes.

      Delete

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.