Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Monday Night Crafts With the Girls: My Perfect Plan to Make Friends

I need to join a yoga class or a book club or something equally as social so I can make friends. I feel as though I am in that awkward stage of life where making friends is difficult if I don't already have them.

I am no longer in school, seeing the same people every day. I am no longer on a sports team where I can bond with the other girls during practices and games. I work an 8-5 job with engineers as old as my parents, so my chances of making lasting friendships at work are slim to none. Now, don't get me wrong. There are many people I adore and consider friends that are much older than me, but I would like to meet people who are similar in age and enjoy similar activities (and who don't mind hearing me complain about life every now and then).

The fact of the matter is, if someone asked me who my best friend was, I wouldn't know what to say. I don't have an answer to that. If someone asked me who I hang out with most frequently, I still wouldn't know what to say. I don't hang out much. I am not complaining by any means, I just think it's time to branch out and make some friends. Some that can hopefully put up with me, because apparently its a task.

On my 21st birthday, everyone except my boyfriend bailed. Who does that? We had plans to form two teams and complete a drinking scavenger hunt down town, moving from bar to bar. However, I ended up ringing in the legal years with my boyfriend, his roommate, and his roommates two friends who decided to join us last minute. Yippee! It actually turned out to be a great night, but it would have also been neat to stick to the plan and be surrounded by people I already know.

So, it's either the fact that they can't put up with me or I am simply incapable of making and keeping close friends; unless of course that friend is 800 miles away in the middle of no where. I met that friend on a whirlwind weekend during the chaos of her wedding planning and we just fit together like two long lost puzzle pieces. Sometimes it works out that way - you just immediately click with someone. And then sometimes that friend tells you that they live in Missoula, Montana and won't be able to hang out but twice a year. It happens, trust me.

That being said, I have come up with the perfect plan to make friends: Monday Night Crafts with the Girls. Unfortunately that doesn't create some awesome acronym we can use to describe our group like we did back when we were in high school. No big deal though. I have a feeling we will get by without needing an acronym.

But seriously, am I the only one who thinks this would be totally fun?

We can sit around and craft away while we sip our wine and talk about whatever is on our minds. Not to mention, every female I know has a Pinterest board full of projects they wish they had the time to complete but with the Girls Craft Nights we will all be making time! We can finally cross some of those items of our Pinterest bucket list and enjoy good company while doing it. I know I have some craft items still in my closet that were never completed.

I hope I don't sound like a crazy lady who really has 16 cats and is about to go start talking to her other-self any minute...

hahaha

Seriously, I think this is a solid plan!








4 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog, Katie. You have some great insight. My 21st birthday was also spent with just me and my man and a couple of his friends after my "friends" bailed on me the night of. I still had a blast though. I honestly think its just a girl thing. We make plans and then either we don't want to leave the comfort of our home or we don't want to get dressed up. I think that girls just put a lot of pressure on one another or we think there is a certain protocol for how we are supposed to be. Its definitely hard to make friends once your "grown-up". I have the same issue. I like the idea of having a craft night. I'm excited to see if any of the girls take you up on your offer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am glad you enjoy reading it!

      I understand being comfortable at home or not wanting to get dressed up, but bailing on plans is a pet peeve of mine. Such is life though. Everyone has things come up and things that get in the way.

      I am also excited to get this craft night going. I already have a friend who told me she would love to! Score!

      Thanks for the comment! Hopefully you continue to enjoy the blogs.

      Delete
  2. I believe quality friendships are hard to find once we get into our 20's and begin going separate ways and are truly figuring out our lives. I have felt the same about maintaining friendships. Although, I know one of my issues is I'm very outspoken, and not to many people appreciate true honesty. Life isn't sugarcoated and I'm not going to make any exceptions for my opinion. I have seen so many people drift away over the past few years and I've wondered if it has been something I have done. At the same time, I have come to accept that we all change and find different paths. Not everyone is meant to stay in our lives forever, but it would be nice to have a few that hang around for more than a couple of years. Thinking about it, I only have two best friends... One is a girlfriend I've known for close to a decade and the other is my boyfriend I've known for about 3.5 years. It is difficult to think of how many people I don't have to call to do something with on any given night, but I can enjoy the time with the people that matter the most to me.

    Hopefully your Girl's Night will work out for you, I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some really good points! People do change and it is around their 20's that we express the greatest change, or so I have read. I do believe in quality over quantity though so two best friends is better than ten that don't care as much for you. I also enjoy my time with those that matter most. Silver lining!

    Also, you are more than welcome to join the girls night! I forgot how much you like crafts. We would have a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.