Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Learning to Make Decisions: Not Everything in Life Can be Black and White

Follow your heart.
Follow your head.
Follow your gut.

At this point, I would rather not make the decision and just follow the yellow brick road instead. Maybe it will lead me to a place where answers grow on trees. Then I can just walk up and pick one as easily as picking a flower and everything would be alright. (Do you hear the tiny violin yet?)

Decisions dealing with matters of the heart are ones I have not had to make in the past and I certainly hope they get easier with time and practice. I have never been so ill-prepared when it comes to making a choice. One or the other. College or no college. Save money or spend money. It has always been black and white to me. This gray area nonsense is going to make my head explode.

It's as if I am standing in front of two doors and the floor below me is slowing falling. I have to chose a door but one leads the right way and one leads the wrong way. Oh, and the signs on the door are in Chinese.  My heart, mind, gut and the yellow brick road only read English and a maybe a bit of Spanish. This is a problem.

The way I see it now, I have two choices. I can follow my heart and learn by experience (either trial and error or trial and success) or I can follow my head and never know what results the other option could have yielded.

I know that everyone is going to have an opinion. I know that either way, people will give me their advice, wanted and unwanted. But I am certain about one thing, I am the only one that can make this decision. Frightening a little. However, I know this isn't the end-all-be-all. Life goes on and happiness will continue to shine in my life. It has to - otherwise it just isn't my life.

This section of the 'decision-making book' came as a surprise but I have faith that it will make me stronger in the end, regardless of which door I end up walking through.

In fact, simply writing my thoughts down (or typing them, rather) has made things a bit clearer.

Standing in the area that is shaded gray is an experience, I tell ya!

If you ever find yourself in a similar predicament, here is something to think about:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.