Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Backpacking Alone: My Thoughts on the Subject a Month Before I Leave

Planning a trip like this has been an adventure in it's own. After going through all of the planning and preparing I can't imagine the things I will experience actually being there. Throughout the course of the preparation, I have planned to make this trip happen with four different groups, totaling about six or eight people. Now, I am just about five weeks out and all of those plans have failed for one reason or another. The result? I will be backpacking through Europe alone. I am both nervous and excited at the same time but I know that this trip is not going to be postponed because of lack of friends available to accompany me. What an adventure this has turned into!

I am into the purchasing and packing stage of this trip and it's making me a little anxious. I have my backpack already, courtesy of my parents and their thoughtful graduation gift, and I love it! It is purple  with teal accents and has all of the pockets, clips and hooks I will ever need! Oh, and it is about half my size. It is bigger than I would realistically need but then again, it is me I am talking about. I need room to bring home souvenirs and gifts.. and maybe a few bottles of wine! ;) 

Here is the backpack:


Packing this thing is going to be interesting. The sales associate who helped me at REI gave me some tips as far as where to put specific items and heavy items but overall I feel like it is going to be an unorganized mess after the first few days.

I am trying to put together a checklist of items I will need to purchase and bring with me so I don't forget anything. However, I feel that it is inevitable and I will end up forgetting something. I just hope it isn't something important. Forgetting something I will absolutely need is on my list of reasons I am nervous. If I am alone that means I can't borrow any items from friends. I will also need to navigate my way to the place where I can find the items I need...alone. Oh boy. So that brings me to my lists (I am a list person if you couldn't already tell).
Reasons Why I am Nervous:
  1. I will be alone - Duh
  2. I might get bored and start talking to myself - a legitimate fear
  3. I might get lost - with current technology this is a little less likely, however still possible
  4. I might forget something important 
  5. There is the possibility of being pick-pocketed or having my things stolen - you best believe I will be attached to my backpack and all of my stuff at all times!
Reasons Why I am Excited:
  1. I have only been out of the country on a spur of the moment trip to Canada so my Dad could grab some Cuban Cigars - that's right, my Dad is a rebel!
  2. I will finally get to do what I have wanted to do for so long!
  3. I will be able to experience the culture and atmosphere of about eight different countries
  4. The places I will be able to visit and the things I will be able to see are going to give me unforgettable experiences and memories.
  5. Food. Oh man am I excited for the food. 
  6. Meeting new people - I have always loved just listening to the stories of others and I can't wait to talk to random people from each country and hear about their lives. Whether it be a quick story about their journey to the coffee shop that morning or the story of how they met the love of their life 50 years ago, I am excited to hear stories. 
  7. This trip will be a true test of my individuality and I am excited to push my boundaries.
  8. Trains. I have never been on a train so I can't wait to try it. This will be a trip of "firsts!"
  9. Green land! Coming from Nevada, it is rare to see an area full of colors and life so I can't wait to photograph the beautiful scenery. 
  10. This will be a fantastic opportunity to blog about my experiences. Writing is what I do and what I love and I can't wait to document this trip for everyone to experience with me! 
Clearly there are more reasons to be excited than to be nervous and some aren't even on the list yet! For those of you who are worried for me - thank you. Someone needs to be! I promise I will take all necessary precautions to be as safe as I possibly can on this adventure of a lifetime! All of the right people will have my itenerary and I will be calling my parents with each new leg of the trip to update them on my travels and where I plan to go next. 

One thing I learned during this experience so far is that you can't depend on other people to experience life. You must experience it for yourself. I am going to do just that in about five weeks! 

Check back for more updates leading up to my trip and the stories and experiences that I record while I am there! 

xoxo


4 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you as well as nervous! I can't wait to continue to read about everything you will do on this trip. I must say I know you are very smart in your pre-planning and I know you will take precautions along the way. Keeping in touch with someone is the key.
    Good Luck with this awesome adventure..... Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I will definitely keep the right people updated and stay in contact. I will be recording all of my stories, experiences and more on here so keep an eye out! It will be a combination of writing, photos and video so I can keep everyone interested! ;)

      Thanks again!

      Katie

      Delete
  2. Katie, I went to Germany 5 years ago, exploring the cities down the Rhine river and loved it!! I remember times I would leave the boring family outings and just walk around the city that we were at by myself having fun with my camera :) Towards the end of my 7 day vacation there I spent the last 3 days out and about my myself...and I LOVED IT!!! Its really so much easier to form beautiful memories and almost your own little "story line" when your on your own discovering :) Either way you are one lucky lady to have such a wonderful journey coming up and from one European traveler to another soon to be, HAVE A BLAST!!! Beth Sieloff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great time! I will definitely make it a point to enjoy myself in every place I go! Thanks, beth!

      :)

      Delete

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.