Monday, August 26, 2013

Euro Trip Mini Blog 5

He is here! West made all of his flights on time and I made my train and transferred to the bus just in time to make it to the airport to meet him! I've never used public transportation so much in my life! America needs to step it up!

I didn't sleep much on the train and he didn't sleep much on the plane but we were both too excited to not explore Prague immediately. So, we got to the hostel, settled in, packed the day backpack (much smaller and easier to carry) and set out to make our way around the beautiful city. 

We saw the oldest bridge in Prague, the largest castle (which was just incredible) and plenty of notable street performers! Although, I can't describe all of the things we saw because there are too many great things to note! The sights are simply incredible (photos to follow soon)! What I can tell you is that you need to visit Prague (and the Czech Republic) as a whole! It's a beautiful, eclectic, and fun city that has something for everyone! 

Here are a few things I've learned after these past couple legs of the trip:

1. A good hostel makes all the difference! 
     Staying at Hostel One Home was one of the best decisions I've made yet. They only have shared rooms, they have common rooms to hang out in, free home cooked family dinners each night, activities planned for each night and an amazing, social and comfortable environment. We met so many awesome people, shared and heard so many travel stories and learned a lot about the places we are going from those who have already been. Choose a good hostel and the rest will fall into place! West had an amazing first experience and we hope to follow it up with similar ones! 

2. Maps are a great thing but getting lost is sometimes better.
     After getting lost (while using the map - hey, sometimes they aren't to scale! Lol) West and I ran into these quaint little cafes, tiny alley ways that led to terraces with old architecture and pianos on the street that are open for anyone to play! We found a huge park that stretches for what seemed like miles, and came upon an amazing view of the river and all of the bridges down the way. Sometimes going off the beaten path has its rewards! 

3. When you think that socially acceptable appearances are global, think again. 
     After staying in a hostel with a woman who didn't think clothes were necessary, I've realized that things we believe are socially acceptable and socially unacceptable are much different than I imagined. Obviously I know that everyone's culture comes with a different set of standards than the next but I guess I never thought walking around, bending over to get in your suitcase, and bending over someone's bed at 6 o'clock in the morning to ask for shampoo, naked, was ok anywhere! Lol culture shock! 


Anyway, we made it to Switzerland after 15 plus hours of night traveling by train and waiting in the stations, which was not fun, but well worth it because traveling at night means arriving in Switzerland while the sun rises! SO BEAUTIFUL! I'm still in awe every time I walk out the front doors of the hostel. Giant mountains surrounding us and a quaint little town in the middle of two large lakes - it's surreal. West is posting some photos now and I'll post the rest when I'm back (sorry for the wait). 

The food is great, the chocolate is delicious (we've had about 5 pieces each already lol) and add the scenery in to make the picture perfect time in Switzerland! 

On the agenda for tomorrow: finding a post office (I failed trying to find one in Berlin) and then hiking up into the Swiss Alps for a little adventure in the high ropes course and then canyon jumping to end it! Pictures and possibly video to follow! :) We're stoked!!

I'll update when I can. As many of you have noted - since West is now here, the updates are coming in slower because I'm more comfortable spending time outside for more hours of the day! And we are having an absolutely wonderful time! :) 

Love from Switzerland! 
Xoxo

Photo above: Prague, Czech Republic 

Photo above: playing drinking games with our new friends in the hostel in Prague after our family dinner! 

Photo above: eating bread with some traditional Switzerland sauce (that we later found out was actually for soup! Haha) 

Photo above: (from the train - ignore the glare and reflection) just before pulling into Interlaken, Switzerland! Gorgeous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.