Monday, August 19, 2013

Euro Trip Mini Blog 3

Well, I survived my first train riding experience and made it to destination number 2! It was quite the adventure!

After walking through the Louvre for a few hours, staring and marveling at all the masterpieces and works of art, I was fairly tired. The Louvre is huge and absolutely incredible. I recommend wearing tennis shoes and not sandals like I did (I apparently didn't learn my lesson the first time and didn't think it would involve that much walking. I was wrong...). 

So I took a cat nap at the hostel and got to the train station an hour early because knowing me, and my track record abroad, I would probably get lost on the way or in the station somewhere. Little did I know, platforms are only announced 20 minutes before the train leaves (which doesn't help people like me at all) and I had to sit and wait. 

The train was pretty neat. Everything over here is so green so it was nice to be able to look out at the scenery as the journey went along. My train connection was in Brussels, Belgium and I was to get off, and book my train to Amsterdam from there. This is where the problems began. 

As I feared, the train was booked. The only other option was to take the non-high speed rail. Ok. Not a problem. The catch? The train connection I wanted to sleep on now had 4 stops at which I needed to switch trains. Cool. My hostel was already booked for the night and I didn't feel like sleeping in the train station so it was my only option. 

The trickiest part about this 4 stop adventure was knowing when to get off. The announcer usually only announces in the language of the land, unless its a newer train, in which case the automated lady speaks in many tongues. I like her. I found a few people going the same route and followed them to the next trains. They were from Germany and Holland and were very nice! 

I finally made it to Amsterdam around 10:15pm. It was dark and I couldn't find anyone to help me find my way. Cue the nerves. I checked and there was no wifi available. Kick the nerves up a notch. What kind of place is this!? Finally found a man to ask for help and when I showed him the photo on my iPad of the map and location of the hostel, he said, "I don't know. Don't you have some kind of gps on there?" He walked away. 

Well yes sir I do, and if it worked I wouldn't be asking you. Psh. On to the next.

I found a bus driver who looked as though he was going on his lunch break. I basically ran to him, begging he help me find this hostel. He told me to get on the tram and ride it into the city. The tram operator would let me know when to get off. So I did that and it worked out well, until I got to the city and the tram operator told me it was somewhere in "that direction." Crap. It's dark, I'm now walking and I'm alone. I was so sacred. Cue the undercover tears and start walking. I was reading every Dutch street sign to see if it resembled the street the hostel was on. I could just imagine West pronouncing the street names with the throat clearing sound because that is what they all looked like. (Haha) 

A few men whistled as I walked by and said hello in tones I'd rather not deal with at this time of night. Aren't there women in windows for that? YEP! I turned the corner and BAM.. There were two pretty ladies swaying back and fourth in the windows on the street, wearing only bras and panties, if that. They were winking at the men walking by and motioning them to come in. They couldn't have been more than 23, but the red lights behind them made them look a little older. And thus I found the Red Light District. I was so happy because I knew my hostel was right around there. 

After walking up and down the canal twice and thinking I was going to give up (not sure what my thought process was there because I sure as hell was not going to sleep on the streets of the Red Light District), I looked up and saw Barndestreeg, the street my hostel is located on. I could have jumped for joy and probably did! I hurried down the street and saw the sign for Shelter City. I walked inside, explained I was late because of the train issue and they had no problem with it. I had to hold back the tears. Seriously. Relieved is an understatement. 

Being that nervous in a foreign country, thinking I was going to be homeless for the night, all alone, was not a good feeling. When I got to my bed in the 16-bed room (which is pretty cool), I quickly connected to wifi to notify my parents and boyfriend who were waiting to hear from me when my train was supposed to arrive around 8pm. I'm sure they were a bit worried. 

What a freaking adventure! 


Here are some things to note: 
1. People here are much nicer than in France!
2. This hostel is awesome! I recommend staying here for anyone traveling to Amsterdam! 
3. No more night trains until West gets here. (I've already changed my itinerary to make that true!)
4. Everyone here smells like weed.
5. There are sex shops displaying dildos on every street.
6. Yes - the girls in the windows are actually good looking (from what I can see - I try not to stare).
7. Its makes me laugh when the girls close the curtains when people try to take their picture! lol 

On the agenda for tomorrow: Anne Frank House, museums if possible, the I Am Amsterdam sign and more city exploring. 

Right now I am enjoying an Amsterdam crepe from the market! :) 



4 comments:

  1. Wow what an adventure that was, I was just as nervous for you reading it. Glad you made it to your Hostel safely. and Good for you to ignore the whistles from those men. Love the updates.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, this is UR. Come on, man up and stare in the windows like any good red blooded American would do. Amsterdam is the pot capitol of the world, so go and smoke yourself a joint, relax and catch your breath. Sounds like your having a ball even though things can get a bit trying at times, but you can handle it. Don't forget to keep a close eye on your stuff as you're walking alone thru crowds. Love from both of us.....R & R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, nothing like an adventure to test ones inner strength! Great job young lady....

    ReplyDelete
  4. your hostel is near the red light district? id be scared too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.