Monday, August 19, 2013

Euro Trip Mini Blog 4

I'm learning the art of being a world traveler. My time has been much better spent with new friends and around other people, talking and sharing stories.

In Paris and in Amsterdam alike I met people who, like me, just wanted to share the experience with others. It might take a minute to decide who I want to walk up to and introduce myself to but the end result is always a good one. Those staying in hostels are not just there for the cheap rooms - it's not worth it if that's all you are looking for - they are here for the people and the experience. 

In Paris I was able to spend a night out with a group of 4 or 5 people who mostly spoke Spanish, and one or two who spoke English. The great part about it is that it doesn't matter what language you speak, because most everyone understands "Eiffel Tower" and is more than willing to go! When we got there, we were approached by people selling champaign and decided to partake. Then shortly after we heard the countdown from behind us, three, two, one, SPARKLE! The Eiffel Tower light show began. It was an amazing show and it was very nice to spend it with new friends! 

In Amsterdam I've had the pleasure of meeting many people but two in particular who I have spent most my time with. I met both Gunhild, a young woman from Denmark and Annie, a young woman from Canada in the terrace at our Hostel. We are all solo travelers who were looking for people to hang out with and it worked to all of our advantages! 

We took a walk down the Red Light District, indulged in a local Amstel beer and a shot of Jäger, people watched, sang the American songs that are played throughout the pubs, and shared stories of our lives and family and friends back home. "Home" is different for each of us, yet it didn't make a difference with regards to our being together - in fact it made it much more interesting. Conversations often started with sentences like, "in Demark we do this, do you do that in Canada?" It was a great way to learn a little bit about each other's culture. 

Unfortunately Gunhild left this morning so Annie and I hit the pavement again exploring the corners of this compact little city. We stood in line for an hour and a half to see the insightful Anne Frank house that has since been turned into a museum, walked down to Musuem Plein, as the locals call it, to see the "I am Amsterdam" sign and take some photos, headed over to the flea market to check out all of the local items for sale, visited the 7-story library that looks like a cross between an Apple store and an Ikea, and finally grabbed some grub! Lots of walking and lots of talking! I feel like I know Annie pretty well now! 


Exploring foreign cities is much more fun when you can do it with new friends, sharing stories along the way. Its good to be cautious, but not overly cautious to where you experiece mini panick attacks! I've had to remind myself to relax, breathe and know that things will work themselves out! When I did that, things got better quickly! Go figure! 

The best part yet? We all now have friends all over the world and my trip has just begun! I highly recommend staying in hostels for anyone traveling abroad! It's a great way to meet people and experience the cities and towns in a way you wouldn't be able to otherwise! 

Off to Berlin tomorrow! My train leaves at 7am and its quite a long ride. I wonder who I'll meet on this leg of the trip!?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.