Saturday, August 17, 2013

Euro Trip Mini Blog 2

Well it's day 2 in Paris and I have to say this has been quite the adventure already! I've smiled, laughed, cried, been asked for money a dozen times, walked 3 and a half hours to get to a hotel, only to find it was way over the price I was told and i've come to find the plug adapter I bought doesn't work in some countries - France being one of them.

Here are some things I want to remember next time around:

1. Factor in distance and walking time (if you are as frugal as me with your money and don't want to take an expensive cab everywhere this will be important). 

2. Know the hostel and address the day before arrival. Finding one the day of is harder than it sounds without a phone and thinking you will have no where to stay in a foreign country is a little nerve wrecking. Or a lot, if you are me! 

3. Always ask about price! The hotel I was in last night had a pamphlet of all the things they offer - one of which being a "buffet breakfast" (more like continental) and there was no price listed so I assumed it was included in the room cost. I ate some fruit and a croissant and was charged £10 at checkout. Not cool. 

4. Not all French folks are rude.. Most of them seem to be, however a couple have stopped to ask me if I needed help finding something. So I've learned to just ask for help! If they don't want to, they will tell you or pretend to not speak English. 

5. Talking with people you love after experiencing rough days abroad is very helpful! :) 

I'm excited to take the train to Amsterdam tomorrow as it will be my first time being on one and I won't have to walk! It is also just about 5 minutes from my hostel! I knew I'd be walking a lot but didn't expect this much! It took me an hour and a half to get to the hostel today - and I have a brisk walk! Glad I have good walking shoes! 

2 comments:

  1. It's Europe. Each day I'm there, i walk anywhere from 5to15 miles. Good shoes and socks is always key. Its nerveracking to be out o! Your comfort zone but it's enlightening also. Have a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've learned several valuable lessons day 1, good for you! Now you'll travel smarter and better for the remainder of your adventure. C'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.