Monday, June 17, 2013

The Importance of Family

I can only speak for myself, but when it comes to my life, family is number one.

I have seen too many people, friends and family alike, choosing to put their family second (sometimes even third or fourth). This behavior baffles me. I understand that everyone's situation is different and there might be things going on behind the scenes that we are unable to see; However, there are some situations I am truly aware of and I just don't understand how people can be so selfish.

A few examples of this include:
1. Choosing a significant other over family
2. A sincere disregard for spending time with family
3. Only talking to members of the family when assistance of some kind is needed

Regarding the first example (this one in particular gets on my nerves), how is it humanly possible to disown the people who have been there for you through your childhood, adolescence, teenage years (whether you believe it or not) and even into your early adulthood, for someone you met just a few years ago? What in your mind tells you that this particular person means more to you than your own flesh and blood? What did they do that was so heroic they had to be moved up on your scale of importance? I ask myself these questions often because I just don't understand the decision. Personally, if someone does not fit well with my family, if they don't get along with my siblings and everyone dreaded the moment this person walked through the door, I would not be with that individual. Family comes first.

Now, to address the second example, I will start by saying this: one of my favorite things to do on any given weekend is sit around a fire pit with my family and neighbors, listening to music, talking, laughing, enjoying a beverage (alcoholic or other) and each other's company. If you can't enjoy this with me, kick rocks. As harsh as that may sound I am very serious. I am a family-oriented individual and if someone can't enjoy spending time with the people who are most important to me (family and adopted family alike) then it just won't work out. I sincerely dislike the fact that people can go long periods of time without spending time with their family. Again, I understand situational differences and have noted them duly. However, for those individuals who have a decent family situation and disregard opportunities to stay home instead of always being out with friends - shame on you. Family time, whether that be sitting outside on the front porch with a glass of ice water and a conversation, or going to the gym together, it all important and it's a must in my book.

Lastly, (and this one is a personal pet-peeve) only talking to people when you need something (family or not) is unacceptable. What makes people think they are so important that they can come out from under their rock, or wherever they have been secluding themselves, and ask for assistance? Now, if you are like me and have a deep, sincere love for helping others, you will probably help this individual out anyway. If you are like a lot of other people who have the backbone to say "kick rocks"and could care less how that affects this individual, you might not help them. Regardless of the outcome, it is not ok to only speak to people when you need something. This is something I truly detest. It's degrading, it's selfish and it's down right rude.

Family. First. No questions asked.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.