Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Appropriating the Wink Face ;)

I have encountered this dilemma on multiple occasions and I often wonder if other people have found themselves in a similar predicament. What am I talking about, you ask? The wink face quandary.

Now, there are certain instances where the wink face is necessary when dealing with written/typed/texted communication. Don't go around winking in public - that's just weird.

For example: a text from a girlfriend to her boyfriend stating "If you eat that last piece of pie on the counter I'll kill you! ;)" The wink, in this case is necessary to let the boy know that the girl won't actually kill him (she might just be really pissed off and give him the silent treatment when she finds out, that's all).

Another example of the necessary wink face is during a conversation like this one:
John: Dude, we hittin up the club tonight?
Brandon: Ya bro. Kendra is out of town and you know what that means! ;)
The wink, in this case is necessary because when Kendra comes home and reads her boyfriend's text messages, he can tell her he was just joking and use it as evidence.

One last example (a little more lighthearted and less relationship-threatening):
Niece: Thanks for spending time with me today. I love visiting you and Uncle Rick.
Aunt: Of course sweetheart. I had a great time too. You and your favorite aunt will always have fun together! ;) Shh.. don't tell Aunt Susie I know who your favorite aunt is.
The wink, in this case is necessary to let the niece know the aunt is joking. (Good thing, because her niece probably would have run off and told Aunt Susie she said that and no one likes family drama.)

So now we get to the quandary: when dealing with conversations that require a wink face (to point out a joke, or otherwise), should one refrain from such usage when the conversation is between a professional colleague, professor, boss, or a friend of a friend who is talking to your other friend? After all, we wouldn't want any of those listed to mistake the wink for something less than appropriate.

Here are a few examples of messages that change by adding a wink:
The door is unlocked and I'm in my room! ;)
We will have the meeting in my office this time. ;)
Are we finishing the surprise at your house today? ;)
I can't wait to see you! ;)

So as you can see, a wink can quickly turn an innocent conversation into an incriminating email or text!

We all need to learn when the wink face is appropriate and when we should we shove it in the alphabetical lock box and keep it there until we converse with some less reputation-threatening folks.

To be safe, the wink faces should be saved for close friends and family who already know your personality and can understand the reasons behind the winks. Any other situation is asking for trouble.

Got it? ;)


1 comment:

  1. This made me giggle - Katie spelled the RIGHT way ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.