Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Freakishly Fast Decision to Adventure to Costa Rica for 1/4 of the Year

With a recognized Type-A personality and a knack for planning and attention to detail, one would not assume I am very spontaneous. That is just not so.

In fact, I move to initiate a new personality trait descriptor which includes characteristics from both Type A and B personalities. However, since the English alphabet lacks a letter between A and B, I am unsure of what to name this new persona. Type A/B, Type A 1/2, Type -B? Those are starting to sound like blood types, so I digress.

The purpose behind bringing up personality types is this: with all the planning, details, calendar entries, and organization a Type-A person such as my self deals with, it would come as a highly unexpected surprise that I made the decision to sell my belongings, quit my job, leave my house and move to Costa Rica to volunteer at a hostel for three months with no plan as to what I will do when those three months are up. Additionally, this big decision and all of the smaller decisions that went along with it happened within four days. Yes, that's correct, four days. See? Highly unexpected.

The odd part about all of this unexpected, anti-Type-A, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants decision making, is that this choice was very easy for me. Aside from the initial reservations regarding safety, legitimacy of the business, and the "go-ahead" blessing from my parents, it was a no-brainer. Nothing was telling me not to take the opportunity.

So all within the span of four days, I pitched the idea to my friends, got them on-board, pitched the idea to my parents, got them somewhat on-board, researched the country as a whole as well as the city in which we will reside, had an in-depth conversation with the owner of the hostel and our soon-to-be volunteer coordinator, and made the firm decision to take a leap of faith.

So far, I have had no regrets about the decision and have been taking all of the necessary steps to make it go as smoothly as possible (can't hide the Type-A forever). I firmly believe I won't have any regrets in the future either. With a decision as easy as this one, and everything falling into place like it has, what is there to be regretful about?

Those of you who follow my blog might remember a post a while back about a panic attack that was self-induced by my freakishly fast decision to move to Spain. Rest assured this situation is different. Although I don't have a plan as to what I will do when my volunteer contract is up, I think the simple fact of knowing I am not "moving" to a new country is reassuring.

My freakishly fast decision to adventure to Costa Rica for a 1/4 of the year is nothing short of exciting. As of this moment, I can't wait to begin this next adventure, learn more about myself, immerse myself into the Costa Rican culture, and experience life as it comes.

Check back for new and exciting things coming to the blog (hint hint, changes are coming) and more stories as I prepare for and leave on my next adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note with your name. I enjoy talking to my readers.